#1 gurty

gurty

Neu bei uns

• Mitglieder
  • PIP
  • 2 Beiträge

Geschrieben 22 Januar 2017 - 15:31

Hi,

I am using Backup Maker Standard v7.202.

I opt for split backup (2GB fragment - which in my case is a requirement) and have the Temp folder set on the target disk (another requirement - because the system disk is a smaller SSD), and this happens:

1. Backup Maker creates a tmp file equal in size with the backup source size - 150GB in the temp folder.

2. Backup Maker generates the split fragments from the temp file - another 150GB

3. Backup Maker moves the split files in the destination folder and removes the temp file.

So basically for backing up x MB i need 2x MB free on the target disk which is not viable especially in case of a larger backup.

My questions:

Is there currently a solution (setting) to change this behavior and directly generate the split files, without a temp file?

Alternatively is there a plan to implement such a feature or use the temp file just for one split fragment at a time?

AFAIK archiving programs (zip) directly generate the split files and use the temp just as some kind of buffer.

EDIT: The above is ONLY valid if the source is one single large file (e.g. VHD).

Best regards

#2 AStroebel (ASCOMP)

AStroebel (ASCOMP)

Administrator

• Admin
  • PIPPIPPIPPIPPIPPIP
  • 5.556 Beiträge

Geschrieben 22 Januar 2017 - 17:18

Hello,

> 1. Backup Maker creates a tmp file equal in size with the backup source size - 150GB in the temp folder.

That's definitely not true. BackUp Maker creates split parts directly in temp folder and moves all parts to destination folder as soon as backup has been finished.

There is no temp file other than the split parts.

Viele Gruesse / Best regards

Andreas Stroebel, ASCOMP Software GmbH

#3 gurty

gurty

Neu bei uns

• Mitglieder
  • PIP
  • 2 Beiträge

Geschrieben 22 Januar 2017 - 17:43

Hi,

Indeed that is the case in normal backups, BUT i forgot to mention a critical detail - the source is actually one single big VHD file 150GB in size, in which case what i mentioned is happening.

It is a specific case, but still - is there an option to disable the temp file?

Best regards,

Daniel

#4 AStroebel (ASCOMP)

AStroebel (ASCOMP)

Administrator

• Admin
  • PIPPIPPIPPIPPIPPIP
  • 5.556 Beiträge

Geschrieben 22 Januar 2017 - 17:53

Hi Daniel,

okay, this changes everything. ;)

Unfortunately, there is no way to disable the tmp file in such a case, I am sorry.

Viele Gruesse / Best regards

Andreas Stroebel, ASCOMP Software GmbH

Besucher die dieses Thema lesen: 1

Mitglieder: 0, Gäste: 1, unsichtbare Mitglieder: 0